The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

desktop pc or notebook for datamining
Posted by: krespo
Date: December 06, 2013 10:01AM

Hallo, I'm beginner in datamining.
I will do datamining projects, tasks as data modeling(run different dm algorithms), preprocessing(ETL,complex SQL quieries).

Is it sufficient for that tasks to use ordinary notebook(I consider quadcore i7 2ghz, 16GB ram, 256ssd -however dm desktop tools as spss,sass doesn't work in mac, but it's possible virtualize windows with eg. virtualbox) or is it highly recommended to use powerfull destkop PC. Which do you recommend ,which alternative is most used in practice ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: desktop pc or notebook for datamining
Date: January 19, 2014 10:30AM

Hello,

For the memory I think that it depends on how much data you want to process and what you want to do (some algorithms may need more memory).

For speed, obviously, if you have a faster computer, then the data mining will be faster.

Personally, I work on a 2 years old laptop with 8 GB of RAM. For what I'm doing, this is enough. But it really depends on what you are doing.

For SPSS SASS, I have not tried them.

Best,

Philippe

Options: ReplyQuote

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.