The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Difference between syntactic and semantic mining
Posted by: George
Date: January 27, 2014 11:25AM

Hi everyone,
I searched already too much on Google that I hope that I will get here some good answer..
I am reading an article, this one: http://www2013.wwwconference.org/proceedings/p561.pdf

And the thing that bothers me the most is that I don't know still the difference between syntactic and semantic mining.. I would like to understand what is the point.. If someone can explain the difference with easy words I would really appreciate it..

Thx to anyone..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Difference between syntactic and semantic mining
Date: January 27, 2014 02:43PM

By looking at it very quickly, it seems that what they call syntatic mining is just to analyse the sequences of clicks on a website without using any additional contextual information to understand why the click on the website happened.

Then, for semantic mining, they maps the words from queries to a knowledge base such as DBPedia or FreeBase which are large graphs connecting words between each other. So by using this graph linking different words, they do a more detailed analysis of the meaning of the words, and this give more information about the context of the queries. So they call this a semantic analysis. This is similar to the idea of the semantic web, where "semantic" is because you use some kind of ontologies, or here a graph like freebase as an additional source of knowledge.

Best,

Philippe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 02:44PM by webmasterphilfv.

Re: Difference between syntactic and semantic mining
Posted by: George
Date: January 27, 2014 09:57PM

Thank you for this smiling smiley

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.