The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Applications of sequential pattern mining
Date: April 02, 2012 06:32AM

Hello,

Today I received a question by e-mail : "What are the applications of sequential pattern mining?"

Here is my answer. Feel free to add some other applications by replying.

Mining transactional data

It is possible to mine sequential patterns in sequences of transactions from a store. In this case, each sequence represents the transactions from a customer at the store. From this, a sequential pattern mining algorithm could find patterns common to several customers. For example, 30 % of the customers who buy beer and pizza, buy milk after. This could be used for taking marketing decisions or for product recommentation on a web store.

Mining web logs
Sequential pattern mining can be done on web logs. In this case the sequences could be sequences of webpages visited by users on a website. From this data, a sequential pattern mining algorithm could use sequential pattern mining to discover sequences of web pages that are often visited by users . The website could then use these patterns to generate suggestions to the user such as recommended links.

Mining medical records or health data
Sequential pattern mining algorithsm could be used to find patterns in medical records. For example, let's say that each sequence is the medical record of a person in a hospital. Patterns could be found such as that people who took the medicine A and the medicine B, and then the medicine C, will have a heart attack for example.

Mining educational data
Sequential pattern mining can be used to find patterns in educational data. For example, consider that each sequence of a sequence database is the courses that a student took at university. It would be possible to discover patterns such as people who took course A and B will always take the course C.

Mining stock market data
Sequential pattern mining could be applied to sequence of events on the stock market.

Software engineering
Sequential pattern mining could be applied in software engineering to find patterns in source code.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2012 06:34AM by webmasterphilfv.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applications of sequential pattern mining
Posted by: Dvijesh88
Date: April 04, 2012 08:47AM

natural disasters

Sequential mining can be apply for the disasters. like once the earthquake comes than what are the changes can occurred in the natural after that. i.e after shot

Posted by: prafulla B
Date: July 14, 2013 10:22PM

detection of event sequence for usability of a software

Posted by: Aman
Date: August 09, 2015 03:29PM

Respected Prof. Viger,

I have just started working in the area of sequential pattern mining in multiple databases. Most of the research papers that I have read talk about the multiple branches of an organization, each having a transactional database.

Could you please list some more current application areas where mining of multiple databases can be done using sequential pattern mining algorithms.

Hints from your side would help me in moving forward.

Eagerly waiting for your help and suggestions.

Thanks in advance!!

Best Regards,
Aman

Posted by: Raymond
Date: April 23, 2017 10:28AM

Good day,

I intend to work on SPM implementation in educational games. Is there anyone who can provide good literature about this area. Thanks in advances grinning smiley.

Date: April 29, 2017 06:26AM

I guess that if you search with "sequential pattern mining" and keywords such as "e-learning", "serious games" "educational games", "intelligent tutoring systems", in Google Scholar, you may find some papers.

Actually, I think you could look not just at games but in general about all kinds of educational system that uses these techniques. Another keyword is "educational data mining".

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.