The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

New book: Data Mining Concepts and Techniques 3rd edition (2011)
Date: October 10, 2011 07:40PM

Hello,

This is to let you know that the third edition of the data mining book "Data Mining Concepts and Techniques" by Han & Kamber is out (2011). The previous edition was published in 2006.

The new edition has been updated to cover many new topics. It is probably the best reference book for data mining now. It covers a wide range of topics from stream data mining, clustering, frequent pattern mining, to data warehouses and OLAP.

I have read several data mining books recently. My main complain about the book of Han & Kamber is that many subjects are discussed too briefly. Therefore, for many topics, there is not enough information for implementing the algorithms that are discussed. Therefore, I recommend this book as a reference book rather than as a book for beginners. For beginners, I recommend the book of Tan, Steinbach & Kumar. It covers less topics but it discusses them in more details.

The book of Han & Kamber presents the field of data mining from a database perspective. It will be appropriate for students in Computer Science.

For people more interested in applying algorithms rather than designing or implementing them, the book by I. H. Witten about Weka from 2011, may be a more suitable book than the one of Han & Kamber.

Phil

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 06:43AM by webmasterphilfv.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New book: Data Mining Concepts and Techniques 3rd edition (2011)
Date: December 04, 2011 05:58AM

Hello,

I have checked the third edition of the book of Han & Kamber more carefully, and I found that three chapters were removed in the third edition:

- Chapter 8: Mining Stream, Time-Series, and Sequence Data
- Chapter 9: Graph Mining, Social Network Analysis, and Multirelational
Data Mining
- Chapter 10: Mining Object, Spatial, Multimedia, Text, and Web Data

It is sad because those advanced topics can be quite interesting and that was one of the reason why I liked this book.

Philippe

Options: ReplyQuote

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.