The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Distribution of list of items -statistical tests-
Posted by: rogelio andrade
Date: October 27, 2017 07:52AM

Hello,

Given a list of items L collected in the time intervals t = 1,2,...,10, I want to test the hypothesis that the sublist of items in the time interval t = 1,2,...,5 does not come from the same distribution as the sublist of items in the time intervals t = 6,7,...,10.

Is it any standard way to test this hypothesis? I think that we can assume that the list of items comes from a Poisson distributions, then test the null H_0: lambda1 = lambda2 against H_a: lambda1 ~= lambda2 using standard tests for Poisson means.

Has any of you which is more familiar with sequential pattern literature have seen this test before?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Distribution of list of items -statistical tests-
Date: October 27, 2017 08:52AM

Hello,

I am not sure exactly for this case. But you could have a look at the topic of "change detection / concept drift" in data streams. In data stream mining, there are various algorithms in pattern mining that attempts to detect whether there is some significant change between two time windows. Maybe that you could find some ideas by looking at this topic.

Best regards,

Philippe

Re: Distribution of list of items -statistical tests-
Posted by: rogelio andrade
Date: October 27, 2017 11:01AM

Thanks for the suggestion Philippe! I'll take a look.

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.