The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Top Articles in Data Mining, and top data mining books
Date: March 29, 2012 08:30PM

Hello everyone,

I would like to know your opinions about what are the top books or top articles on data mining.

Here are my favorites:

Top data mining books

Han & Kamber (2011) Data Mining Concepts and Techniques, 3rd Edition.
Comments: A very good book covering many topics. It is like an encyclopedia of data mining. Not a lot of details on each algorithms. But it covers many subjects. Unfortunately, in the third edition, they removed some advanced topics that were in the second edition.

Tan, Steinbach & Kumar (2006) Introduction to data mining
This book is the best data mining book that I have ever read. It does not cover a lot of topic but they are well-explained. It contains the best chapters about clustering and frequent itemset and association mining. There are three free chapters on the website (http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~kumar/dmbook/index.php ), and I highly recommend them.

Top data mining articles

There is many data mining articles out there on many topics.

Some of my favorites are:
- PrefixSpan (sequential pattern mining)
- Apriori (association rule mining)
- The top 10 algorithms in Data mining
- TrustWalker (trust-based item recommendation)
- DBScan (clustering by density)
- CBA (classification by association rules)
- Educational data mining: A survey from 1995 to 2005 ( on the topic of mining educational data to find interesting patterns)
- Nine Laws of Data Mining
- Interestingness measures for data mining: A survey
- Agent mining: The synergy of agents and data mining (about how data mining and multi agent research can be integrated

So what are you top articles in data mining or top books?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2012 08:34PM by webmasterphilfv.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Top Articles in Data Mining, and top data mining books
Date: March 30, 2012 05:46AM

The top 5 data mining articles according to this website: (www.dataminingblog.com/top-five-articles-in-data-mining/ )

- An Introduction to Variable and Feature Selection. Isabelle Guyon and André Elisseeff
- Data Clustering: A Review. A.K. Jain, M.N. Murty and P.J. Flynn
- From Data Mining to Knowledge Discovery in Databases. Usama Fayyad, Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro and Padhraic Smyth
- Nine Laws of Data Mining. Tom Khabaza
- Statistical Modeling: The Two Cultures. Leo Breiman

Options: ReplyQuote

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.