The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

FCHM BOND with Volume
Posted by: LSatterfield
Date: February 15, 2019 10:44AM

Hello,

I am using the FCHM Bond algorithm and find the bond measure to be extremely useful. I'm using this bond to identify products that cross-sell well together.

One issue I am running into is that this bond is very difficult to translate into expected volumes. For instance consider the case when a customer buys between 4 and 5 boxes of tomatoes for every 1 box of Pizza Dough. Let's say that I have a bond of 0.5 for tomatoes and dough. This would imply that for every transaction containing either tomatoes or dough id expect 50% of those transactions to include the other. I'd like to translate this into an expected number of cases of the other product sold but short of calculating an expected volume of every combination, I'm not sure how to go about solving this problem.Is there an algorithm available for this purpose? Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FCHM BOND with Volume
Date: February 17, 2019 11:43PM

Hi,

Thanks for using SPMF. I took a bit of time to answer because I was abroad.

Yes, the bond is a simple measure but the concept is quite interesting to find items that appear often together.

About translating patterns into volumes of sales, I do not know any algorithms that would specifically do this and I have never thought about this idea.

If we have an itemset {a1, a2 ... an} the FCHM bond algorithm can know:
- the support of a1
- the support of a2
- the support of an
- the support of {a1, a2 ... an}
- the bond of {a1, a2 ... an}

Using such information, various measures can be derived such as the bond. But how to calculate volumes? I don't know.

If we see this as a task of prediction, then maybe that some prediction models could be trained using the patterns?

Best regards,

Posted by: LSatterfield
Date: February 18, 2019 08:12AM

Philippe thank you so much for your response, I appreciate it. I think there may be a potential to compute what I am looking for based on your response. We know that the

Total_Utility = Utility_a + Utility_b +... Utility_n

If we treat utility as case volume instead of dollars, and keep track of unit utilities (Utility_a through Utility_n) or unit fractions and support it would be simple to compute the decomposed mean case volumes in supporting examples. Unfortunately the unit utilities were not listed in your list of possible outputs from the algorithm. I'll dig in the code to see if I can create what I want, I just wanted to keep track of my idea in case anyone else finds it useful.

Thanks again!

-Lee

Date: February 19, 2019 03:26PM

I see. Happy that you may have found a way to do what you wanted to do!

Best,

Philippe

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.