The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Mean and standard deviation absolute average deviation (AAD), median absolute deviation (MAD), and the interquartile range(IQR)
Posted by: Nail
Date: July 27, 2019 06:27AM

I know how to get all this parameters but I what to know what these parameters are described about data.

I means what these parameter tell about data.

I case of outlier the mean and standard deviation are not good why how we come to know from data that is not good measure and the median absolute deviation (MAD), and the interquartile range(IQR). are good. Please help me with example how this parameters are describing the data?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mean and standard deviation absolute average deviation (AAD), median absolute deviation (MAD), and the interquartile range(IQR)
Date: July 28, 2019 05:46AM

Some measures like the mean are used to know what is the central tendency in the data, that is what is the value "in the middle" of your data.

Some measures like standard deviation are used to know if there is a lot of dispersion in the data, that is whether the data is all very close to the mean (not much dispersion) or if it is quite far from the average (more dispersion).

The Interquartile range tells about in what intervals of values you can find most of your data. Each quartile represents 25 % of your data.

Re: Mean and standard deviation absolute average deviation (AAD), median absolute deviation (MAD), and the interquartile range(IQR)
Date: July 28, 2019 06:01AM

Thanx for your reply.
I got what do mean by mean SD but the interquartile range I could not understand like this example
the interquartile range is 15 what we mean it in the dataset

Date: July 28, 2019 06:02AM

Thanx for your reply.
I got what do mean by mean SD but the interquartile range I could not understand like this example
the interquartile range is 15 what we mean it in the datase

Date: July 28, 2019 06:04AM

Thanx for your reply.
the interquartile range is 15 what we mean it in the dataseimage

Date: July 29, 2019 07:19AM

The idea of interquartile range is not very complicated.

Please look at the picture that you posted.

If we sort values by increasing order, then the median is the value in the middle.
In that example, the median is 72. The median means that about 50% of the values are higher than 72 and about 50% are lower than 72.

The value Q1 is 64. It indicates that about 25 % of the values are smaller than 64, and about 75% of the values are greater than 64.

The value Q3 is 79. It indicates that about 75 % of the values are smaller than 79, and about 25% of the values are greater than 79.

The interquartile range is the interval from Q1 to Q3. Thus, in that example, it is the interval from 64 to 79. It tells you that only about 25 % of the value are lower than 64, and only about 25 % of the values are greater than 79.

Date: July 30, 2019 11:50AM

Thanx so much I got it.

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.