The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Why we use multiple threshold instead of single threshold
Posted by: Hamideh62
Date: July 30, 2019 03:52PM

Hi,I work on high utility itemset mining and reads an article that uses multiple threshold instead of single threshold . I dont know why we do this . What is the benefit of define multiple thresholds?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why we use multiple threshold instead of single threshold
Posted by: sadeq
Date: July 31, 2019 02:22AM

HI,
This is because items have different nature in a given dataset. some items appear frequently whereas others appear rarely. mining with a proper single support threshold is hard since, with high support threshold, the interesting rare ones will be missed while mining with a small support threshold generates a huge amount of itemsets that makes them expensive to be analyzed.
To overcome this issue, assigning multiple support to reflect the nature of each item in the dataset. So, those itemsets with small support can be generated with a samll support threshold and those itemsets with high support can be generated with high support. in such case, we find both frequent and rare itemsets without generating a huge amount of itemsets. Also, interesting rare itemsets are generated.
Regards,
Sadeq

Options: ReplyQuote

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.