The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Comparative Analysis
Posted by: Lluis
Date: May 23, 2012 02:51AM

Hello!

I'm interested in use a classifier algorithm in a process, to classify our data. But I don't know in which part can I do that... So I would like, if it exists, to find information comparing the different algorithms depending of the input data or the kind of classes to find.

If it doesn't, maybe a current state-of-the-art in Sequential Pattern Mining would be useful, or maybe a kind of compartive table.

Any pointer, information, bibliography will be welcome.

Thank you so much!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comparative Analysis
Date: May 23, 2012 05:07PM

Hello Luis,

Welcome to the forum!

If you are interested by the problem of classification, you could have a look at some reference data mining books like the book of Han & Kamber titled "Data Mining, Concept and Techniques". It is a general book about data mining. But there is a chapter about classification and it gives an overview of the main problems and techniques with some citations.

Also, the book "Introduction to data mining" by Tan & Kumar is very good. You can download chapter 4 about classification for free on the website: http://www-users.cs.umn.edu/~kumar/dmbook/index.php . In the book there is another chapter about advanced classification techniques (chapter 5) that is however not free.

I think that looking for a book is a good way to get a good overview of all the techniques available, so that you can make a choice.

Philippe

Date: May 31, 2012 01:26AM

Hello,

the books recommended were very useful. I didn't explain accurately what I wanted (I'm sorry), but I found help in that bibliography.

What I want is to extract patterns in my data to, lately, be able to predict when an event is going to happen...

Thank you very much!

Regards,
Lluis

Date: May 31, 2012 04:24AM

Hello Lluis,

Glad that you found something. :-) Your project seems interesting.

May I ask you what kind of data you want to predict?

Best,

Philippe

Date: May 31, 2012 11:16PM

Hi Philippe,

It's something related with Intrusion Detection, our data are records of events triggered after connexions made likely by intruders...

Regards,
Lluis

Date: June 04, 2012 12:44AM

Is there any schema, table, paper showing some algorithms with their application, memory consumption, method, and so on?

Thanks!

Date: June 04, 2012 03:24AM

Hello LLuis,

If you are talking about evaluating the performance of the algorithm implementations in SPMF, the articles describing the algorithms are available in the Documentation section of the website:

http://www.philippe-fournier-viger.com/spmf/index.php?link=documentation.php

Several of these articles present some performance comparison or experiments to evaluate things like execution time, memory usage...

However, these experiments are NOT done with my implementations, except for my own algorithms.

Therefore the performance in SPMF may differ from the original implementations. I tried to implement as close as possible to the original implementations usually. But sometimes, articles are not clear enough.

Best,

Philippe

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.