The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Can I batch process multiple text files?
Posted by: tassieTom
Date: October 18, 2019 01:11PM

Good morning,
I am experimenting with skipgrams and TKS. The results are very impressive in text files that I am using. I am wondering if it is possible to batch process a whole folder of txt files instead of entering the input files one at at time in SPMF. Many thanks, Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I batch process multiple text files?
Date: October 23, 2019 06:31AM

Hi,

I am glad you are getting good results!

Currently this feature is not offered. But since you can call TKS from the command line, you could just write a small script to call SPMF for every file of your folder. If you are using Windows, perhaps that a BAT script could do this. Or if you are on Linux I don't know ;-) Or another could be to write a small program to do a loop on all folder.

It is a good feature, and I will think about how I could add this to a future version of SPMF. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards,

Philippe

Date: October 23, 2019 06:31AM

Hi,

I am glad you are getting good results!

Currently this feature is not offered. But since you can call TKS from the command line, you could just write a small script to call SPMF for every file of your folder. If you are using Windows, perhaps that a BAT script could do this. Or if you are on Linux I don't know ;-) Or another could be to write a small program to do a loop on all folder.

It is a good feature, and I will think about how I could add this to a future version of SPMF. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards,

Philippe

Date: October 23, 2019 08:21PM

Thanks for your response, Philippe. You gave me a clue by mentioning a Bat file for windows. I did a bit of research and managed to get one running which will process all the files in a folder. It works like a charm! Thanks again.

Date: October 24, 2019 08:11AM

Hi

I am glad to know that you have done it successfully with a BAT file!

Would you mind posting the BAT script? Maybe it could be useful to others!

Best regards,

Philippe

Date: October 24, 2019 01:13PM

Hi Philippe,
Here is the basic version of a BAT file that will process multiple .text files with TKS in a folder. For simplicity there is no directory checking, so SMPF and the .text files need to be in the same folder.

for %%f in (*.text) do (
echo %%~nf
java -jar spmf.jar run TKS "%%~nf.text" "%%~nfOutput.txt" 50 1 4 "" 1 0
)

That's it!

Hope it's useful to someone, it has saved my day.

By the way, here is a way to rename all your .txt files in a folder to .text with a BAT file too, this script could be added to the beginning of the above script.

ren *.txt *.text

Regards,
Tom

Date: October 25, 2019 08:09PM

Hi Tom,

That is great! Thanks for sharing it!

Best,

Philippe

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.