The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Forward /backward extentions in EFIMclose
Posted by: sharare1370
Date: August 06, 2020 08:48AM

HI
i have a question about forward and backward checking which is used in EFIMclose algorithm .would you please explain the difference between forward and backward checking?
Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forward /backward extentions in EFIMclose
Date: August 06, 2020 10:25PM

Hi,

Just saw your message.

I will try to explain in a simple way.

In the algorithm EFIM-Closed we use some processing order to process items.

To make my example simple, let's say that this order is A < B < C < D < E < F.

And let's say that we have a transaction database with three transactions:

T1: A B C D
T2: A B D
T3: A C D E F

Now, all the itemsets and transactions are sorted according to this order.

So now, let's say that the algorithm wants to check if the itemset X={B,D} is closed.

We know that {B,D} has a support of 2.

To check if {B,D} is closed, we need to know if we could add an item to {B,D} such that the resulting itemset will still have the same support of 2. If we can find such item, then we know that {B,D} is not closed. Otherwise {B,D} is closed.

There are two cases:
- We could add an item after the last item of {B,D} to create some itemset like {B,D, E} or {B,D,F}. If we add an item after the last item, we call this a forward extension.
- Or we could add an item before the last item of {B,D} to create some itemset like {A, B,D} and {B, C, D}. This is called a backward extension.

So in other words, if an itemset like {B,D} has a forward-extension or a backward-extension that has the same support as {B,D}, then {B,D} is not closed.

Let's check.

In my example, we can find that the itemset {B,D} has a backward extension {A,B,D} that has also a support of 2! Thus, {B,D} is not closed!

Let's take another example.

Consider the itemset {A, C}, which has a support of 2.

Is it closed?

We can look at the backward and forward extensions to know the answer. We find that there is a foward extension {A,C,D} that has the same support as {A,C}. Thus, {A,C} is not closed.

So that is the main idea about the concepts of foward and backward extensions.

When EFIM-Closed considers an itemset, it will check the forward and backward extensions to determine if it is closed or not.

Best regards,
Philippe

Posted by: sharare1370
Date: August 11, 2020 12:56AM

Hi
Thank you for your response.i learned forward/backward extensions with your good explanation.

Date: August 11, 2020 04:39AM

Happy it is clear;-)

Best regards,

Philippe

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.