The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Pruning strategy - LA-PRUNE vs EUCP
Posted by: maria567
Date: August 16, 2020 08:54AM

HI
i want to know between LA prune and EUCP prune strategy which one can prune the search space stronger?
Best regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2020 09:22AM by webmasterphilfv.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pruning strategy
Date: August 16, 2020 10:29PM

Hi,

These two strategies have different goals.

EUCP will let you eliminate some candidates. For example, using EUCP you can know that combining {A} and {B} together to make {A,B} is useless. Thus, you don't need to create the utility list of {A,B}.
So in other words, EUCP is applied before you build the utility-list of an itemset to decide if you should build that list, and also if all extensions of that itemsets will also be useless.

On the other hand, LA-PRUNE is applied during the utility-list construction. It is used to decide if you should stop building a utility-list while you are constructing it.

So both strategies are applied at different moment. EUCP is applied before utility list construction, while LA-PRUNE is applied during utility-list construction.

For this reason, it is best to combine both strategies.

Now about efficiency, I think EUCP has a bigger influence on the performance than LA-Prune. If i remember on some databases EUCP can improve performance by 5 times or more, while LA-PRUNE I think it is much less i think.

But again, best to combine both ;-)

Re: Pruning strategy
Posted by: maria567
Date: August 18, 2020 01:18AM

Hi
Thank you for your response.
Regards

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.