The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

FEATURE REQUEST - multiple input files in SPMF
Posted by: Swabnir
Date: November 05, 2020 03:51PM

Is there a means for SPMF to allow taking more than an input file(as an option) and generating output separately for each file?

This can be applied if we have the data of the same scenario but captured on a different site/time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2020 08:38AM by webmasterphilfv.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FEATURE REQUEST
Date: November 05, 2020 04:08PM

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider it. I am not sure about how to best do it, but I will think about it. I also want to add some features to let the user run multiple algorithms one after the other. I think it would go in the same direction as your idea. But I need some time to find a way to do it and do it.

Thanks for the suggestion

Date: November 05, 2020 08:53PM

Thank you Prof,

I think that will be very helpful. The idea maybe we can take a number of multiple files as an input, and then generating the output, by to the number of files (the same number as the input file). The renaming of the output file can be auto-generated by giving the number to the file(the same sequence as input OR the same name as the input file but adding the suffix "output"winking smiley.

If so, will it affect the algorithms file? If not, which part should we consider most for achieving this?

Thank you.

Date: November 05, 2020 11:04PM

Hi,

Yes, I see. Maybe not too complicated to do...

Do you mean from the command line interface or from the GUI ?

If from the GUI, I think it would require the following changes:
- change the dialog for choosing files to let the user choose more than one file
- if more than one file are chosen, then apply the same algorithm on each file, one after the other. Maybe the names could be like output001.txt output002.txt output003.txt etc in that case.

If for the commandline interface, I would have to think about how to do it.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Philippe

Date: November 06, 2020 04:27PM

If could be from GUI will be nice,

Maybe the problem is linking the algorithm to each input and output.

(Any idea).

Date: November 07, 2020 05:16AM

I see. GUI should be not very hard to do... now i am a bit overloaded but maybe in 1 week or so, I can have time to check and try to do it. Otherwise maybe a bit later

I will let you know if I do it.

Philippe

Date: November 07, 2020 04:00PM

Thank you, Prof,

Am ready waiting for this amazing feature.

Thank you very much for making SPMF open-source and be flexible in improving it by adding more features. It is very helpful.

Date: November 10, 2020 04:23PM

Dear Prof

Am thinking more about this feature,

I come with another idea, instead of adding several files at once, maybe we can add one more column (to be 1st column) which represents the file Name/ID on each of the data OR another option we can add the name/id of the file at the first line of each data from another source. Then run algorithms by considering file ID first. Finally result to be written by fileID/Name first followed by released output.

In this way, we will have single input (having information from multiple files as presented by fileID/Name) and single-output (having information from multiple inputs file presented by fileID/Name).

Just been thinking, we can consider the previous idea(multiple files) or this one (single-file having input from multiple files but identified by an added column of the file name).

Date: November 13, 2020 08:41AM

Hi, thanks for sharing your idea.

Yes, that is another possibility. I think that I have to think about it for a while to see what is the best way to make it easy to use and yet keep the user interface simple to use and intuitive. Also, I need to find some time to modify the code... I may take a little while because this week I have many urgent things to do. Maybe the week after, I can find the time to work a bit on this.

By the way, I will release another version of SPMF with some new algorithms maybe in about 10-15 days. I will perhaps include the new feature at the same time, if I can find the good idea about how to implement it.

Thanks again for your ideas and suggestion.

Best regards,

Date: November 15, 2020 09:05PM

Thank you Professor, and am happy for news of the coming new version of SPMF which will have these feature and newly added algorithms.

Thank you very much.

Date: December 21, 2020 01:45AM

Dear Prof;

Any news about new version of SPMF having this feature and other new algorithms?

Date: December 25, 2020 03:10AM

Hi,

I was a bit busy. I still did not finish for the new version. Thanks for reminding me about the feature. I will try to see if there is a way to integrate it. But at the same time this week is very busy! Let's see.. I will post a message here also when the new version is released.

There will be maybe 5 new algorithms. But I need to do the integration, some testing and update the websites among other things ;-)

Best regards,

Philippe

Date: December 25, 2020 03:43PM

Dear Prof;

Thank you very much for the update.

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.