The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

Merry christmas and happy new year to all
Date: December 25, 2020 03:32AM

Wish you all a merry Christmas and happy new year! Thanks for your support for the SPMF software and for using/reading the forum smileys with beer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Merry christmas and happy new year to all
Posted by: Anon
Date: February 18, 2021 09:30AM

Merry belated Christmas, fren! I just found this old school forum! Are many people still active on here?

Date: February 18, 2021 05:05PM

Hi Welcome to the forum!

Yes, it is very old school ;-)

I think there are more people reading than posting. Welcome to post. I personally check the forum quite frequently and try to answer questions when I can.

Best,

Philippe

Posted by: Anon
Date: February 23, 2021 02:25PM

That is awesome!

I actually have no idea what data mining is, I just stumbled across this forum while learning how to become a better researcher.

I would totally love to know what data mining is, and what to do with it!

Thank you, hope to hear from you soon!

Anon

Date: February 23, 2021 05:58PM

Hi,

That is nice. No worry. What is your research area? Are you doing the Phd?

Data mining is about using computer software to analyze data to find some useful information in the data. For example, let's say that there is a retail store collecting data about what customers buy. By analyzing this data using software, we can maybe find some interesting information such that many people by some product with another product. Then, based on the information that we find with data mining, we can maybe take some decisions like co-promoting some products or offering discounts.

This is just an example. But generally, data mining can be used for all kinds of data. The meaning is just to use some software to analyze data and find something interesting in it. Another example is to analyze a collection of text documents and to automatically discover the main topics discussed in these documents.

Personally, I am a data mining researcher. I have a computer science background. As a data mining researcher, I work on designing new algorithms (software) for analyzing data.

I guess that you heard about artificial intelligence since many people talk about this in the news in recent years. Data mining can be viewed as overlapping with this. In artificial intelligence, the goal is to build software that can do some intelligent tasks like automatically grading a homework. In data mining, the goal is to automatically or semi-automatically extract interesting patterns or models from the data.

Best regards,

Phliippe

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.