The Data Mining Forum                             open-source data mining software data mining conferences Data Science for Social and Behavioral Analytics DSSBA 2022 data science journal
IMPORTANT: This is the old Data Mining forum.
I keep it online so that you can read the old messages.

Please post your new messages in the new forum: https://forum2.philippe-fournier-viger.com/index.php

example41:mining sequential patterns
Posted by: mavro
Date: September 17, 2012 01:44AM

Hello

I would like an explanation of the example 41.

I don't understand the results obtained with this technique.
For example: in the result S1 (0,3) support 75%
but in the dataset there is no sequence with 3 at the instant 0, so why in the result we have a sequence with 3 at the instant 0 with a support 75%.

Could anyone explain it to me?

thanks a lot.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: example41:mining sequential patterns
Date: September 17, 2012 11:19AM

Hi Mavro,

Welcome to the forum.

I will explain to you why.

In the dataset, the timestamps are absolute timestamps. For example, in the first sequence of the dataset, {1} appeared at time 0. It was followed by the itemset {1, 2, 3} at time 1. Finally, itemset {1 3} appeared at time 2.

In the sequential patterns, the timestamps are relative. The timestamp for the first itemset of a sequential pattern is always 0. The timestamps for the following itemsets are relative to the first itemset of the sequential pattern. Let me give you an example. Consider the following pattern:

S16 (0, 1 2), (1, 1) 75 %

This patterns does not mean that {1,2} appeared at time 0. It only means that {1,2} appeared together at any time. Then, 1 time unit after, the item 1 appeared. Those a relative timestamps.

This means that pattern S16 would be included in this sequence:

(0, 1), (1, 1 2 3}), (2, 1 3)

But it would also be included in this sequence:

(20, 1), (21, 1 2 3}), (22, 1 3)

because the importance for sequential patterns is the relative timestamps (not the original timestamps).

Hope this is clear.

Best,

Philippe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2012 11:23AM by webmasterphilfv.

Options: ReplyQuote

This forum is powered by Phorum and provided by P. Fournier-Viger (© 2012).
Terms of use.